Many of the patients that seek us out for help with a wide array of long-COVID symptoms ask the same question “why is this happening to me?” Understanding how a COVID-19 infection is different from colds and flu is the key to understanding why and how it can cause such widespread dysfunction in the human body.
New research helps to shed some light on what is happening. Here is one example.
In cases where there is a change or loss of taste and smell, we are learning that there may be damage to the cells in the olfactory area of the brain or even a lingering virus. There is also research showing that changes in the tissues supporting the olfactory nerves and the immune system of the nasal cavity can also affect emotions, our sense of balance, and the ability to think clearly (eg. brain fog). Other research shows it can also cause immune system dysregulation, and trigger abnormal inflammatory processes that affect multiple areas of the body. We are learning more everyday.
The good news is we can help with long-COVID symptoms such as these listed below using Acupuncture and Chinese Herbal Medicines.
- Brain Fog/Dizziness/Vertigo
- Heart Palpitations/Shortness of Breath
- Loss of or change in smell and/or taste
- Chronic cough
- Muscle/joint pain, numbness and/or tingling
- Nausea and loss of appetite
- Dysautonomias & POTS
How Chinese Medicine Helps
- Acupuncture stimulates blood flow to help initiate healing of tissues and improves the nervous system signals back and forth to the brain. It can regulate the immune response, reduce inflammation, improve sleep quality and overall feelings of well-being.
- Chinese herbal medicines can clear out any lingering virus, resolve congestion and bring healing to the tissues and underlying systems.
I’ve seen excellent results with many of the symptoms and complications of long-COVID using this combination.
If you or someone you know has any long-COVID symptoms or complications, you may want to give acupuncture and herbal medicine a try. As with many illnesses, the faster you act to seek treatment, the faster your healing will be. Give us a call.